Maggie’s Menu: 4th of July Hand Pies
Message from Maggie:
Happy 4th of July, Magpie readers! Mr. Magpie and I are headed up to Greenport, NY to celebrate the holiday with our dear friends Blair and Ethan, but before taking off I wanted to leave you with some inspiration for your Independence Day tables.
- 1 package pie crust dough (2 rounds of dough)
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 whole egg
- White sparkling sugar
- Take pie crusts out of refrigerator and let them come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Combine all ingredients for the filling into a bowl and mix well until the berries start to juice.
- Sprinkle your working surface with plenty of flour.
- Cut dough into round shapes using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut a star shape in half of circle shapes to create a vent.
- Spread whole round shapes with about 1 1/2 T. cherry filling.
- Place star cut round shape on top of round shape covered in cherry filling.
- Using a fork, press down on edges pinching together top and bottom of each round shape
- Whip the egg and brush over the dough.
- Sprinkle dough with white sparking sugar.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until edges are browned.
Yields about 5 hand pies depending on size of round circles.
- This recipe is dairy free.
- This recipe is nut free.
- This recipe is soy free.
- This recipe is vegetarian.