Maggie’s Menu: Birthday Cake Bread
Message from Maggie:
This weekend I am headed to my hometown outside of Chicago to celebrate my sweet mother’s birthday. I made the following recipe which I figured would be easy to pack and screams “Happy Birthday!”
- 1 cup of butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp butter flavored extract (optional)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp cold butter
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Spray a loaf pan with non-stick baking spray (line pan with parchment to make removing the loaf easier)
- Cream together the butter and sugar, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl, until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- Add egg yolk and whole eggs, one at a time, stopping to scrape the bowl in between additions.
- Add extracts, stir 1 miute, and then add flour and salt.
- Gently stir in the sprinkles, and pour into the prepared pan.
- For the crumb topping combine 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and using your fingers, rub in 2 Tbsp cold butter until it is evenly distributed (texture should be like wet sand) stir in 1/4 cup sprinkles.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the cake batter loaf.
- Bake 70 minutes and check for doneness (a pick inserted in the center should come out with just a few moist crumbs) my loaf took an extra 10 minutes.
- When done, cool in pan 10 minutes, and then remove to a rack to finish cooling (bread slices much easier when completely cool).
Yields 1 loaf
Note: I doubled the recipe and used 6 mini loaf pans in lieu of 1 large loaf pan
- This recipe can be gluten free by using gluten free flour
- This recipe is vegetarian