Maggie’s Menu: Chicken Un-Fried Rice
Message from Maggie:
Before leaving for the grocery store I asked Mr. Magpie if there were any meals he was interested in me making that week. He suggested chicken fried rice, which I took as a fun “how do I make this better for you and gluten free?” challenge. After reviewing a few recipes online, here’s what I came up with!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 3 eggs + 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 5 tablespoons tamari
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sesame oil
- In a large skillet, add olive oil. Add onions, carrots and peas, and saute until veggies are hot and soft (about 5 to 6 minutes).
- Move veggies to one side of the pan. Liberally coat the other side with olive oil spray and scramble the eggs, chopping them into bit-sized pieces.
- Once eggs are cooked, mix the eggs and veggies together. Add rice, chicken and scallions and mix. Add hot sesame oil and tamari, and mix thoroughly until everything is hot and rice is starting to crisp.
- This recipe is dairy free.
- This recipe is gluten free.
- This recipe is nut free.
- This recipe is soy free.