Maggie’s Menu: Nutella Hand Pies
Message from Maggie:
My sweet niece Addy is being confirmed today and she was kind enough to ask me to be her sponsor. For those of you non-Catholics the sacrament of Confirmation is the last of four initiation rites for Catholics, the other three being Baptism, Penance, and First Holy Communion, and completes the process of initiation into the Christian community. Addy is a Nutella fanatic so I wanted to make her a sweet treat with her favorite hazelnut spread. I came up with these Nutella stuffed hand pies and while you could use any cookie cutter, I used my mini alphabet shaped ones to stamp out her name.
- 1 package pie crust dough (2 rounds of dough)
- 1 whole egg
- White sparkling sugar
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Take pie crusts out of refrigerator and let them come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Sprinkle your working surface with plenty of flour.
- Cut dough into round shapes using a round cookie cutter or the rim of a glass.
- Cut a shape in half of the circle shapes to create a vent- here I used letters to spell my nieces name.
- Spread whole round shapes with about 1 1/2 T. Nutella.
- Place cut round shape on top of round shape covered in Nutella filling.
- Using a fork, press down on edges pinching together top and bottom of each round shape
- Whip the egg and brush over the dough.
- Sprinkle dough with white sparking sugar and chocolate sprinkles.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until edges are browned.
Yields about 8 hand pies depending on size of round circles
- This recipe is dairy free.
- This recipe is vegetarian.