Maggie’s Menu: Rainbow Chard
Message from Maggie:
Mr. Magpie grew rainbow chard in his garden this summer. It sure is beautiful and today it was time to harvest! I updated this recipe from Fine Cooking to make it a bit healthier and we enjoyed it as a side with our dinner last evening.
- 13 to 14 oz. Rainbow chard (1 large bunch)
- 2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoon pine nuts
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves (8 to 10 large)
- Pull or cut the stems from the chard leaves. Cut or rip the leaves into 2- to 3-inch pieces and wash and dry them well. Rinse the stems and slice them crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
- In a 12-inch nonstick stir-fry pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the pine nuts to a plate, leaving behind as much oil as possible.
- Return the pan to medium-high heat, add the chard stems and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrunken and beginning to brown lightly, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the chard leaves and 1/4 teaspoons salt. Toss with tongs until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. (If using a skillet, you may need to add the chard in batches, letting the first batch wilt before adding more.)
- Using tongs, immediately transfer about half of the leaves and stems to a serving plate and arrange. Sprinkle on half of the Parmigiano, basil, and pine nuts. Layer on the remaining leaves, stems, and pan juices, and garnish with the remaining cheese, basil, and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Yields 3 to 4 servings
- This recipe is gluten free.
- This recipe is soy free.
- This recipe is vegetarian.