Maggie’s Menu: Shamrock cookies
Message from Maggie:
Here is an easy recipe Martha Stewart’s cut out cookies with royal icing- a staple for holidays. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Ingredients for cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted sprinkles and food coloring
Directions for cookies:
- In large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; beat until combined.
- Divide dough in half; flatten into disks. Wrap each in plastic; freeze until firm, at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Remove one dough disk; let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Roll out 1/8 inch thick between two sheets of floured parchment, dusting dough with flour as needed.
- Cut shamrock shapes with cookie cutters.
- Using a spatula, transfer to prepared baking sheets. (If dough gets soft, chill 10 minutes.)
- Reroll scraps; cut shapes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake, rotating halfway through, until edges are golden, 10 to 18 minutes (depending on size).
- Cool completely on wire racks.
Ingredients for Royal Icing:
- 1 box confectioners’ sugar (1 pound)
- 2 large egg whites
- Food coloring (I used green here)
Directions for Royal Icing:
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, egg whites and food coloring if desired.
- Mixing on low speed, add a scant 1/2 cup water. For a thinner consistency, usually used for flooding, add more water. A thicker consistency is generally used for outlining and adding details.
- Mix until icing holds a ribbonlike trail on the surface of the mixture for 5 seconds when you raise the paddle.
- Spread with the back of a spoon. If using sprinkles decorate before icing harden, about 20 minutes.
Yields 32 cookies
- This is recipe is nut free.
- This recipe is soy free.