Make: Baby Gym Ikea Hack DIY
Message from Maggie:
I am sure this makes me sound like a horrible mother-to-be but I am offended by nearly all the baby stuff that exists out there. Why does everything have to be so… baby-ish? I have been looking around for a baby gym that would be worthy of our itty bitty Gentile and I found they are either very pricey or don’t exist. I saw this version at Ikea and it was so close to being exactly what I was looking for that I grabbed it. When I got home I upgrade it to meet our aesthetic needs while still providing the goal of entertaining the baby with some visual contrast. I have been warned our house will soon be consumed with all things baby and am sure I am beyond naive to think I can stop it from happening- but today this was a small step to controlling it while also providing a fun DIY for our itty bitty Gentile.
- As with all things Ikea this comes practically disassembled, but the toys need to be removed from the strings in order to paint.
- Throw the Ikea strings away.
- Lay out the pieces and paint some of them gray and some of them white using no-voc paints. Note: It took about 4 coats of paint.
- Carefully paint the four side spinners as well covering the base with tape so it doesn’t bleed.
- Once everything is painted and dried, attach the two base pieces to the main piece using the instructions provided by Ikea.
- Using macrame reattach hanging toys, making sure individual knots of macrame are very secure.
- Place on top of your favorite blanket or rug.