Make: Nursery Sign Language Embroidery DIY
We are slowly starting to think about our itty bitty Gentile’s nursery and I’ve got a long list of DIYs planned. I saw this cute sign langage “I love you” sign tutorial on Make & Do Crew’s website and gave embroidery a whirl.
- “I love you” embroidery design, printed out
- Embroidery thread – DMC 3801 + DMC 955
- Cotton fabric
- Embroidery needle
- Embroidery hoop
- Pencil for tracing the pattern onto the fabric
- Acrylic paint + paintbrush if you want to paint your hoop
I used an 8″ hoop to frame my design, but the free pattern download includes versions for 5″, 7″ and 8″ hoops.
- To download the free “I love you” embroidery design head to the Make & Do Crew Vault.
- Trace the pattern onto your fabric.
- Outline the hand using a backstitch. (Note: I learned how to do a backstitch by watching a YouTube video)
- Give the hand a quick manicure by filling in the fingernails with a satin stitch.
- Paint your hoop, if you’d like.
- Trim the fabric so about 1″ extends beyond the hoop. Sew a running stitch around and pull to gather it tight. Tie off.